After two years of pandemic challenges, it was great to be back to more in-person events this season! The Club’s 2021-2022 programs were popular and well attended.
Recapping our last three events:
March: Women’s History Month Luncheon, Springhaven Golf Club
Women in Sports Panel: the impact of sports on women athletes and business leaders
· Leslie Gudel, Chief Operating Officer of Strategic Sports Marketing (SSM) and Elevate Sports and Media, and a founding member of the Comcast SportsNet team
· Dr. Monica Taylor, Chair of Delaware County Council, professor and program director in Kinesiology at University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
· Lindsey Moppert, senior Broadcast Journalism major at Temple University’s Lew Klein College of Media and Communication
Experts discussed the role of sports in their personal and professional lives, and fielded questions from the members.
May: Sunday Books ‘n’ Brunch, Jamey’s House of Music
Club members shared their literary journeys and introduced their books
· Tiffany Joyner, “Furry Mouse”
· Doreen McGettigan, “The Stranger in My Recliner”
· Rich Pagano, “The Baron of Leiperville”
· Kathleen Piperno, “Fearless in Heels”
· Joann Pierdomenico and Vincent James, the “88 Ways Music Can Change Your Life” series
Along with enjoying music and a sumptuous brunch menu, guests circulated among the authors, whose books were available for purchase.
May: Season Wrap-Up Happy Hour, The Towne House
Reminiscing about the days when The Original Towne House was the unofficial headquarters of The Press Club
Happy Hour featured a slideshow highlighting some of the Club’s past events at the original Towne House, buffet hors d’oeuvres, cash bar, and a tour of the Towne House’s five dining venues. Surprise special guest FOX29’s Bob Kelly of “Good Day” dropped in to say hello and invite members to his dance party after Happy Hour.
Other year-end business:
Board members completing terms
· Anita Sayers, The Radnor Hotel
· Paul Bennett, The Spirit Newspaper
· Jessica Hoffman, Delaware County Chamber of Commerce
· Anne Neborak, photographer, writer, blogger
· Becky Robert, Scott Arboretum
· Bo-Dean Sanders, author
Board Members continuing a second term
· Andrea DiFabio, AD Communications
· Dave Sibley, On Video
· Lisa Roberts Cadorette, Cadorette Communications
· Joe Morinellli, Radio Voice Italia
New Board members for 2022-2024
· Rev. Leonard Carroll, The Spirit Newspaper
· Pam Mariani, Valley View Golf
· Diane McNitt, McNitt Marketing
· Marty Milligan, Visit Delco PA
· Marguerite DeGrassa, Chester County Chamber of Business and Industry
Support to Education in Communications
Introducing our endowed scholarship recipients
Jack and Florence Steck Memorial Scholarship
Temple University Klein College of Communications
Brian Mengini of Lansdowne, Journalism major
Robert Finucane Memorial Scholarship
Penn State Bellisario College of Communication
Marie Weaverling of Glen Mills, Film Production major
Edward Berman Memorial Scholarship
Penn State University Bellisario College of Communication
Carly Knowlton of Drexel Hill, Broadcast Journalism major
In addition to the endowments, we were pleased to announce our Annual Award in Communications Excellence has been made to Cabrini University. Funded with proceeds from Club events, the award totaled $1,000. This award rotates among ten universities in Delaware County.
Recapping other highlights of 2020-2022:
· A 50% increase in membership
· In-person and virtual events with compelling topics and entertaining guests including: Alicia Vitarelli, Debbi Calton, Loraine Ballard Morrill, Peg DeGrassa, Rich Pagano, Members of the Delaware County Arts Consortium, Todd Robinson, David Uosikkinen, Sue Serio, and Leslie Gudell
· Collection and distribution of 100 new books for students in grades K through eighth in the Southeast Delco and William Penn School Districts
· Updated website and growth in social media followers
· Cash donations to Philabundance and Save a Warrior
A huge THANK YOU to our members and our outstanding Board of Directors who helped make it happen!
The Board anticipates a successful 2022-2023 season and we’re already planning Fall events.
· The Press Club Goes Back to School
· A Press Picnic featuring newspaper, TV, and radio station staff and personalities
· Behind-the-scenes at The Colonial Theatre in Phoenixville
· Feeding Families with Philabundance
· Annual Holiday Luncheon and Fundraising Raffle
Visit thepressclubpa.org or check the Club’s Facebook page for the latest news and information on Club activities and schedules. Membership applications and renewals are also available on our website.
A Personal Message
I can’t believe I’m at the end of my first two-year term as president! I’ve enjoyed my time leading this excellent professional organization and look forward to spending another two years in office.
Have a great summer! See you in September!
Andrea DiFabio, Press Club President